More Than a Thrift Store
By Claire Padama
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Council of Los Angeles, is a known for thrift stores in Los Angeles and Long Beach. But the Society is more than a store. It is an organization with 2,500 volunteers who devoted 263,000 hours to calls for help from the needy last year. We assisted over 159,000 people with food, clothing, housing and other forms of assistance.
The Society also operated in Los Angeles, Ventura & Santa Barbara Counties:
· The Cardinal Manning Center for homeless men
· St. Vincent’s family housing for homeless families
· Low-income housing for the working poor
· A prisoner resettlement house
· A seasonal winter shelter for the homeless
· A free learning center from ESL and GED students
· A camp for under-served children
“No Act of Charity is Foreign to the Society.” We are committed every year to finding new forms of assistance for the impoverished. And the need for our charity continues to grow.
Please join our mission of ending poverty and homelessness in Southern California. We are More than a Thrift Store. We continue our dedication to improving the quality of life for those less fortunate and offer our humble thanks for your support throughout the year.
Claire Padama is president of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul Los Angeles Council.