Thursday, July 15, 2010

Volunteers are the root of the Society's Outreach


The Society’s more than 2,000 year-round ‘Vincentian’ volunteers helped close to 127,000 homeless, disadvantaged and working-poor families live a little easier during the past fiscal year. Assistance included, but was not limited to: rent, mortgage, utilities, medical, dental and legal issues regardless of religion, race, gender or national origin.

Bob, 68, a Vietnam veteran whose prostate cancer was in remission, faced eviction from his trailer. Receiving no social security benefits, Bob had exhausted his financial options. After much advocating on his behalf, a local St. Vincent de Paul ‘volunteer’ conference helped restore Bob’s social security benefits, established a bank account and moved him into a senior complex. Bob now volunteers his time sorting books at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store, joyfully telling anyone who will listen how his life changed because the Society helped him when no one else would.

Quote:

“St. Vincent de Paul helped prevent my utilities from being disconnected. My husband, who had been paying the bills, left. Unbeknownst to me, he left me with a huge power, water and sewer bill. I was unable to find employment. For weeks, I could not sleep with anxiety. However, I received assistance (when I needed it most).”

~ Lydia, 61 Los Angeles

No comments: