Monday, January 11, 2010

It's Hip to Help!



The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is looking for a few good men and women to help the poor in their communities.

No prior experience is necessary. All that is needed is a caring heart and the desire to serve God by helping to improve the quality of life for local children, women and men.

Example - Prior to becoming a Vincentian, Reggie Makaveli, 23, assisted the Society's Our Lady of Charity Conference in Lancaster while he was working as a forest ranger and attending college. To say this young man had a busy schedule would be an understatement.

According to Joyce Willey, chair person of the Society Our Lady of Charity Conference, Reggie "is a true delight to work with and everyone here loves him. In my book he is top notch."

So, Reggie. Why do you help the poor through St. Vincent de Paul"

"All I wanted to do was work hard, and nothing really gave me that rewarding feeling inside other than helping people. God blessed me with many gifts and one passage from the Bible really made me think what I was put on this planet for: the parable of the 10 talents. God put me on this planet to do one thing and that is to serve Him and be like Jesus. And, what did Jesus do while he walked the Earth? He helped people. That is why I feel that I have to give back to the people what God blessed me with."

If YOU would like to help the Society make a positive impact with children and families in your community, please call 323-224-6298.

No comments: